Sherif Al Rouby
Political Activist and Human Rights Defender; Former Spokesperson of the April 6 Movement
Arrest: On September 16, 2022, Sherif was rearrested in front of a hotel in Ahmed Helmy Square in Central Cairo and disappeared for 24 hours before reappearing before the prosecutor and being remanded to pretrial detention
Violations: Deprivation of Liberty
- Charges: “Terrorism” and “Spreading False News” in Case 1634/2022.
- His arrest comes barely four months after being released from an extended pretrial detention on the recommendation of the presidential pardon committee
- This is the fourth time that Sherif has been arrested and the third time that he has faced the same charges.
- Before his most recent arrest Sherif was on travel ban, putting his safety at risk and leaving him vulnerable
- After his release in May, Sherif spoke publicly about his experience in prison and the difficulties he faced after release, including appearing on Al Jazeera.
He is currently being held in Abu Zaabal prison, the site of several documented instances of rights abuse.
Enforced Disappearance, Deprivation of Liberty, Travel Ban