Mohammed El Qassas
an Egyptian politician and deputizing Abdel Moneim Aboul-Fotouh – who’s currently in custody – for the presidency of the Strong Egypt Party.
Arrest: al-Qassas was arrested in February 2017 from the street while he was on his way to a friend’s wedding.
- Charges: joining a terrorist group, and leading a terrorist group.
- Al-Qassas was brought for interrogations in case No. 977/ 2017 and ordered to pretrial detention. On December 8, 2019, a court ordered his release. However, state security authorities added him to a second case with similar charges, No. 1781 /2019.
- On August 5, 2020, A Court ordered his release again with precautionary measures, but the decision was not implemented, and for the third time, al-Qassas was added to new case No. 786/ 2020 and a fourth case No. 440 of 2018.
- On August 31, 2021. Al Qassas was referred to trial in case 440 /2018 before the Emergency State Security Court, a special court operating while the country is under an emergency state. The court’s verdicts are final and not subject to appeal.
- On May 29, 2022, the Emergency State Security Court sentenced al-Qassas to 10 years of imprisonment and probation for five years.
Rotation, trial before State Security Cour, violations to the right to due process, and fair trial.
Mr. Al-Qassas was held in solitary confinement during his pretrial detention at the notorious Tora Maximum Security 1 prison (known as Al Aqrab= The Scorpion) and suffered from degrading and inhuman detention conditions due to the decaying conditions of Egyptian prisons. In October 2022, he was moved to the New Badr Prison 1. His wife -who is an asthma patient- reported that the visits take place in tight cabins through a glass barrier which caused her suffocation. The prison authorities had to end the visit. Since then, she isn’t able to visit despite her pleas to see him in a different room suitable for her medical condition.
Social media suggested post:
During #COP27, we call on #Egypt to release Mohammed El Qassas, an Egyptian politician and deputizing Abdel Moneim Aboul-Fotouh for the presidency of the Strong Egypt Party.
@copcivicspace #FreeCivicSpace #FreeThemAll