Lawyer, human rights defender and founder of the Association of the Forcibly Disappeared
Arrest: On 10 September 2017, Ibrahim Metwally was detained at Cairo Airport while travelling to Geneva to attend a meeting with the UN Working Group on Enforced Disappearances.
Violations: Arbitrary arrest
- The charges: Joining a terrorist group, and committing a crime of financing terrorist groups.
- On September 10, 2017, Metwally was arrested, and after his enforced disappearance for several days, he appeared in the Supreme State Security Prosecution in connection with Case 900 of 2017, State Security.
- On October 15, 2019, the State Security Prosecution issued a decision to release him after the maximum period of his pretrial detention had expired, after which he was forcibly disappeared again for 20 days at the National Security headquarters in Kafr El-Sheikh.
- On November 5, he appeared before the State Security Prosecution and was investigated in a new case, which is Case No. 1470 of 2019 State Security
- On August 25, the decision to release Ibrahim was issued in Case No. 1470 of 2019 of Circuit 1 Terrorism of the Cairo Criminal Court.
- On September 6, 2020, Ibrahim appeared again before the State Security Prosecution for interrogation in Case No. 786 of 2020 State Security, which is his third case since his arrest 3 years ago. He is still being held in custody in connection with this case until now.
Ibrahim Metwally, detained since September 2017, in Tora Maximum Security Prison 2, known as “Al-Aqrab 2”, is held in solitary confinement, deprived of exercise, exposure to the sun, books and newspapers, and deprived of receiving treatment, despite suffering from an enlarged and inflamed prostate prior to his arrest.
arbitrary arrest – enforced disappearance – case recycling – deteriorating detention conditions – denial of medical treatment.
Ahead of #COP27, we call on #Egypt to release Ibrahim Metwally arbitrarily detained since 2017 due to his work as a human rights lawyer #FreeThemAll #FreeCivicSpace https://t.co/R8BtSe95zw pic.twitter.com/D17dIgvDpV— COP Civic Space (@copcivicspace) November 4, 2022
Ahead of #COP27, we call on #Egypt to release Ibrahim Metwally arbitrarily detained since 2017 due to his work as a human rights lawyer #FreeThemAll #FreeCivicSpace https://t.co/R8BtSdQWlo pic.twitter.com/FfZ4eHkayS— COP Civic Space (@copcivicspace) November 4, 2022